Thursday, July 26, 2012

Let's Do The Time (Zone) Warp Again.........

Well it has just occurred to me that over the next 10½ weeks, I will travel through 36 time zones.  How is that possible? I hear you ask as I imagine your mind ticking over, wondering how many hours there actually are in a day. Some days seem so much longer than others, so will this be like one of those days that seem endless? 


So it is possible that I may suffer from a bit of jet lag.  

I plan to combat this issue by limiting my awake time to just a few hours a day.  

Over the past 40 years or so I've put a lot of time and effort into training for these exact conditions.  There have been sacrifices.  I've only seen a small percentage of early mornings in that time and for those of you who have been with me late at night, I was there in body because I never want to miss out on anything, but I was asleep inside!


Once on a flight from London to Perth I put in quite a few hours or practice in order to hone my craft and the couple in the seats behind me commented as we taxied into Perth Airport and stretched and tried to come alive (thank you for the words Dolly) that they had never seen somebody sleep for that many hours straight on a plane before.  I replied, "If you're impressed with that, you should see me at home in my own bed!"  I also assured them that it's probably not something I recommended they try at home without the proper training and supervision.

My rigorous training schedule came under the guidance of my trainer/mother who as well as setting bedtimes in my younger years also had a very gentle way of waking me in the morning.  She would wet a flannel to an acceptable tepid temperature and place it on my face.  Then she would sit on the edge of my bed and talk to me until I was awake enough that she was confident I wouldn't just roll over and go back to sleep, making her job a little more tedious by having to come back to my room a number of times until I was running late.

I am fortunate enough to have my lovely mother with me on the majority of this journey, so I've packed the flannels knowing I'm in very good hands.



A future world leader in the field of Sleeping In.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with sleeping in the first 3 weeks ... its just fortunate your Mum will be there to pick up the 'pieces of your broken sleep' in the latter half of your journey! :p

    ReplyDelete