Thursday, October 11, 2012

Asian Engineering

photo.JPG by Shellenski
photo.JPG, a photo by Shellenski on Flickr.

I'm always baffled at how things get done in Asian countries..... or it's probably more that I'm thinking "why aren't more people killed?" This could be just me thinking this, but is Australia such a "Nanny" country now that we believe everything is going to go wrong until it doesn't? Perhaps its my earlier career in child care where a big part of the job is making things safe for the bambinos..... I have noticed that since then I preempt accidents from happening. You know, moving that cord BEFORE somebody trips over it or moving the glass back from the edge of the table BEFORE it falls spilling red wine all over the beige carpet. Am I over cautious? Should I look past the potential hazard staring at me and just go with the flow and deal with the problems as they arise? Am I teaching kids that there aren't any dangers because I've removed them all before they've even seen them?

The thing is, I don't think I could let it go.... I mean, I even tuck in the label tages on the tops of complete strangers. Not that that is a danger, but I can't help myself.

Which brings me to the view from our window in Kowloon. How long is going to be before somebody falls through that scaffoldingly looking balcony arrangement there?

Positive Note to potential employers: I would make a great Occupational Health and Safety Officer.

Play to your strengths, always play to your strengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment